If you’re already working as a teacher or trainer at a recognised training or educational establishment within the education and training sector (former post-14 sector) and looking to progress your career, then this course will help you on your way.
Why Lifelong Learning?
- Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be eligible to proceed to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status, following a process of professional formation through the Society for Education and Training. Your QTLS is the full professional status for teachers in the Lifelong Learning sector.
- On this course you’ll have the opportunity to develop the skills to play a full part in teaching and curriculum development. The course allows you to focus on your particular subject specialist area, alongside general teaching in the lifelong learning sector and a significant amount of your learning happens in your place of work – allowing you to put theory into practice.
Open Event 11 May 2023
Come along to our Higher Education (18+) information evening and discover what it’s like to study at University Campus North Linconlshire.Attend our information event to get a taste of life as a higher education student at University Campus North Lincolnshire.
This course includes the following core modules that all students complete:
- Research Informed Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Becoming a Subject Specialist Teacher
- Being a Subject Specialist Teacher
- Policy and Professional Issues.
You should normally be in employment as a teacher or trainer at a recognised training or educational establishment. The course is particularly suitable if you have work experience and/or qualifications in industry, including business and administration, hair and beauty, health and social care, uniformed services or armed forces, construction, engineering and many other vocational areas. As well as studying at the University, you’ll learn the practical skills of teaching through a placement in an appropriate educational institution. You’ll complete 50 hours per year totalling 100 hours of teaching.
On this course you’ll have the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and understanding needed to teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector, and the ability to identify your ongoing needs for professional development. The course helps to prepare you for playing a full part in the teaching, administrative, and curriculum development activities in colleges and in other education and training organisations.
As part of the course, you’ll complete a subject specialist module. This requires attendance at the University. You’ll be informed of the exact dates during the first year of the course.
The focus of this course is on practical teaching. You’ll have the opportunity to gain experience of learning and teaching alongside other professionals with support from tutors and work-based mentors. You’ll be supported to gain competence in planning, teaching and learning; and in working with students; with assessment of your progress taking place in formal classrooms and in student-centred learning situations.
In addition, you’ll be taught through a series of lectures, seminars, tutorials and interactive workshops and you’ll have a personal tutor who’ll be assigned to you throughout your studies to support your ongoing wellbeing and ensure that you have a positive learning experience.
Assessments vary and include essays, the creation of resources to support learning, seminars, and presentations.
Entry requirements for this course are normally:
- qualifications at Level 3 or above, for example HNC, CGLI Advanced, NVQ level 3/4 or other recognised professional qualification
- ability to demonstrate appropriate work experience in the area you wish to teach
- GCSE English C Grade/4
- GCSE maths C Grade/4
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent.
In addition, you must also:
- provide confirmation of an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- provide one satisfactory reference
- complete a satisfactory interview
- identify a work-based mentor who can support you in your subject specialism
As part of this programme of study you will be required to have a valid enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. You will be required to pay the cost of this. A DBS must be in place before you start your placement. You may be able to supply an existing DBS but this must be within 3 years of issue.
Upon successful completion of your undergraduate studies, progression onto the following programmes may be of interest:
BA (Hons) Education Studies
Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be eligible to proceed, following a process of professional formation through the Society for Education and Training to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status. This is the full professional status for teachers in the Lifelong Learning Sector.
UK students can take out a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of their course and a maintenance loan to cover living costs.
We also have a range of other financial support available.
We do not currently have fee information available for this course. Please contact us for further information.
Your Tuition fees cover most costs associated with your course (including registration, tuition, and assessment).
There may be some extra costs that you might need to make, or choose to pay, for example:
• Books (you’ll have access to books from your module reading lists in the HE library, but you may wish to buy your own copies)
• Printing and photocopying
- A DBS check will be required, which you must pay for.
Enquire about this course
To find out more and apply for this course, please contact us via the telephone number below.
Information for EU Students
From January 2021, how you apply for a course will change. For more information, read the UK Government's guide for the UK points-based immigration system for EU students (pdf).
Visit our International pages for more information and contact details