This course includes the following core modules that all students complete:
In the first year of the programme, students will delve into the core concepts and principles of game development. They will have the opportunity to explore four specialisms – game design, game art, and game animation and sound for games– through introductory modules as well as learning about the industry as a whole and the history of the games sector.
- Game Design Fundamentals: This module provides an overview of game design principles, mechanics, and storytelling techniques. Students will learn how to conceptualize and develop game ideas and utilise cutting edge game engines to create playable prototypes.
- 3D Game Art Fundamentals: This module introduces students to the fundamental principles of game art, including 2D and 3D art creation, environment art, and asset integration. Students will gain hands-on experience with industry-standard tools and software.
- Game Animation Fundamentals: This module covers the basics of 3D game animation, including the principles of 3D animation, rigging, character movement, and animating objects. Students will develop essential skills in creating dynamic and believable animations for games.
- Audio Fundamentals: The module is designed to reflect the importance of recording, editing, mixing and implementation within the game audio production process by equipping the student with both the theoretical knowledge and the core operational skills required to work successfully in a modern recording environment.
- Critical Game Studies: This module explores the evolution of video games, from their early beginnings to the present day. Students will analyse significant milestones, influential games, and the cultural impacts of gaming.
- The Games Industry: This subject provides an in-depth exploration of the games industry, including its structure, business models, marketing strategies, and emerging trends. Students will gain insights into the different roles and career pathways within the industry.
Throughout Level 5 students will build upon their creative, technical, and contextual knowledge and skills to begin applying these to more complex and professionally oriented outcomes.
Students will have the opportunity to study a specific pathway of modules focused on their chosen area of specialism or focus on a more diverse route and choose from a variety of modules to create a more rounded skillset. This allows students to tailor their skillset towards AAA, AA or Indie Development depending on their preferences.
Collaborative Game Project
Game Design Pathway
Game Animation Pathway
Pre-Production and Project Management
Specialist Animation Project
Game Art Pathway
Advanced 3D Modelling
Specialist Game Art
Sound for Games Pathway
Game Audio Implementation
Audio Recording and Editing
Sound Design and Effects
Occasional changes to modules and course content may take place. Students will be notified when applicable (pathway availability is dependent on student cohorts and not all pathways may be available).
The primary way of delivering this course is on campus with opportunities for some virtual delivery. To maximise the student experience, some sessions may take place on other campuses.
On campus teaching includes a combination of lectures, group seminars, practical sessions and workshops.
Students will receive between 12 and 16 hours of teaching time per week throughout this programme, depending on the modules being taken. Additional one-to-one tutorials with tutors will provide further support
48 UCAS Points
We are committed to creating educational opportunities for people from a variety of backgrounds and situations. If you have been out of formal education for some time, and/or you do not have the qualifications stated, we might still be able to consider your application and offer you a range of support. We are here to help. Please get in touch to find out more.
If you wish to continue studying beyond this course, it will provide you with a strong academic basis to do so. Course progression routes could include BA Hons in Games Design, Games Art, Game Animation, or Sound at Level 6
You can also stay with us to study our Level 6 BA(Hons) Top-Up programme.